About Atlantic Title & Settlement Service, LLC | What is Title Insurance?
Overview | What is Title Insurance?
Title insurance protects the homeowner and lender against hidden defects and risks which may occur on your biggest and most important investments, your home and real estate.
Title insurance protects against hidden defects such as:
• Errors in public records
• Fraud through forged instruments and false impersonation
• Instruments executed under invalid or expired power of attorney
• Mistakes in recording legal documents
• Misinterpretation of wills or undisclosed heirs
• Deeds made by incompetent persons
• Liens from unpaid bills and taxes
Title insurance companies will cure or pay for defending any lawsuit attacking the insured and will either clear up title problems or pay the insured’s losses. For a one time premium, a title insurance policy remains in effect as long as the owner retains an interest on the property, or has any obligation under a warranty in any conveyance of it.